Why Should You Use Ceramic Coatings?
Ceramic is one of the most common and versatile types of coatings that we apply at A&A. Through our plasma spray process we can feed various compositions of ceramic materials to create high quality coatings that enhance the performance of the underlying surface. The specific coating process chosen and the ceramic materials selected are dependent on factors such as coating functionality, thickness required, and other economic considerations.
Common Types of Ceramic Materials & Their Main Uses
Here is a list of commonly applied ceramic materials that are often used in surface coating processes:
- Zirconium Oxide: Often used in molten metal contacts and for thermal barrier coatings
- Aluminum Oxide (Alumina): Often used for non-conductivity and wear resistance combined with corrosion resistance
- Titanium Dioxide: Often used for resistance to wear by abrasive grains and hard surfaces
- Chrome Oxide: Often used to seal surfaces, for wear and corrosion resistance
- Alumina-Titania: Often used for corrosion resistance in many seawater applications. Also exhibits very good non-conductive properties
The Benefits of Ceramic Coatings
The main reason why you should opt for ceramic coatings is due to the numerous benefits that this type of coatings offers to the substrate that is coated:
- Make the substrate more wear resistant
- Confer corrosion protection to the surface
- Provide thermal insulation
- Provide electrical insulation
- Let the substrate look more aesthetically appealing
- Increase the hardness of the substrate
Wide Applications in Different Industries
Ceramic coatings are sought after because they have a widespread appeal across various industries. In the steel industry, ceramic coatings are utilized to provide the much needed properties of corrosion and wear protection. In the textile industry, equipment that features components such as heater plates and rolls can take advantage of ceramics to maximize their wear resistant functions. Also, the marine and defense sectors utilize ceramics for resistance to corrosion by salt water along with non-conductive and wear resistant properties.
Ready to Experience the Power of Ceramic Coatings?
At A&A Coatings, we believe ceramic coatings can deliver the surface protection that you desire. Our materials engineer will review your needs and help you understand how to choose the most appropriate ceramic materials to help achieve the best surface engineering results. Let us unleash the power of ceramic coatings for you today!