Application Spotlight: EMI/RFI Shielding
At A&A Coatings, we produce custom thermal spray coatings for a wide range of applications, including EMI/RFI shielding. Electromagnetic interference and radio frequency interference are some of the issues faced by different industries where the radio frequency signals and electromagnetic waves seem to affect other similar electronic devices in negative ways. Since our inception, A&A Coatings has provided the most cost effective EMI/RFI shielding solutions to our clients.
Understand the Common Applications for A&A Coatings’ EMI/RFI Shielding Coatings
Below is a quick look at what our EMI/RFI shielding coatings can be used on:
- Military equipment and devices
- Office equipment
- Cell phones
- Medical devices
- Consumer electronics
- Industrial equipment
- Motor controls
- Process control enclosures
- X-ray equipment
- … and more!
Lightweight electronic enclosures that need to prevent stray radiation from either exiting or entering the enclosure to protect the onboard and peripheral electronics also need EMI/RFI shielding coatings. Did you know that you can also opt for thermal spray coatings to suppress commutator noise motor brushes? Yes, you can! You just need to coat the enclosure near the motor.
Benefits of Applying EMI/RFI Shielding Coatings
Today, more intricate plastic enclosures and housings are utilized in manufacturing digital electronic devices, and that’s why there is a constant need for reliable EMI/RFI shielding coating solutions. What’s more, these systems can be applied by a variety of thermal spray techniques.
- Stellar point to point resistivity
- Uniformed thickness
- Tack free time is kept minimal
- Electronic devices are protected against electromagnetic pulses
- Unmatched shielding performance
- Much more cost effective
- Has anti-static properties
- Suitable for both low and high volume applications
EMI/RFI Shielding Coating Materials and Substrate Materials
When it comes to creating coatings that help shield parts from EMI and RFI, we utilize a great array of pure metals and metal alloys, including zinc, tin, copper and aluminum. These materials are chosen for their exceptional RFI shielding and EMI shielding properties. With the right combination, we can stop interference from affecting coated electronic parts by deflecting or absorbing incoming EMI or RFI. In addition, these coatings can be deposited onto virtually any substrate material. Common substrate materials include carbon-based materials such as wood, paper, polymers, carbon composites and more.
Types of EMI/RFI Coatings that can be Produced by A&A Coatings
At A&A Coatings, we can produce different types of EMI/RFI shielding coatings and that’s why we can tailor coatings for a wide range of applications. Below is a quick look at some of our capabilities:
- Sodium silicate systems that are aqueous based. It is a type of silver filled formulation and acts as an exceptional moisture barrier. Has a temperature resistance of up to 700°F and bonds well to a great array of substrates.
- Non-corrosive, no-mix, one-part or silver filled silicone systems. It can be cured at room temperatures with the presence of atmospheric moisture. It is best applied in thin sections as it has extremely low volume resistivity.
If you want to find out how A&A Coatings can help when it comes to EMI/RFI shielding applications, don’t hesitate to contact us today.